Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Cubical Drones Interrupted

I have an office job, which means that I'm sitting on my butt for at least 8hrs per day.I read somewhere that sitting on your butt for prolonged periods of time increases your chance of weight gain--not to mention butt spread and lord knows I don't need any more butt!  I need to "move around" as much as I can and if I didn't have a day job, I would probably spend more time exercising. Since that is not the case I have figured out a way to get about 45 mins of exercise into my work day. Take note fellow cubicle drones:

First, I set the timer of on my cell phone to beep every hour. Upon this beep, I get up from my desk and begin my custom made workplace workout.

  • Stairs: My office has two massive sets of stairs in the warehouse area...there are 20 steps on each. I climb each set of stairs at least once and if I'm up for it, I do a total of 4 climbs.
  • Squats: I do squats in our private bathroom. 2 sets of 10
  • Counter Push ups: Using the counter in our private bathroom I do 2-3 sets of 10 modified push ups. Click here for example.
  • Wall Thrusts: Again, using the wall in our private bathroom. I lean myself against the wall and step back about 2-3 feet and lift my knees. I easily do about 70 of these. Clueless? Click here
  • Lunchtime Walk: I walk the mall, the local Target or whatever store I happen to find myself in during lunch time. 
There you have it: "Changing My Weighs Working Workout" 

It takes about 3-5 mins to get through this routine...which is about how long it takes to get up for a potty break. Each hour I rotate what exercises I will do, just to keep it interesting. As I continue to do this, I will probably add more workplace friendly exercises. 

Side-Note: I wear my heart rate monitor when I do this routine so I can see my calories burned. My calorie burn ranges from 150-170 total calories. Very nice in my book!

Anyone else do stuff like this, or am I the only odd duck out there? LOL!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for the tips! I didn't even think of doing little things like that. I sit a lot during the day at my job too, might have to do some of those things you listed to break up my day and burn some extra calories!

Mrs. Bradley said...

great ideas.

PlumPetals said...

Those are great tips! I work quite a bit from home (sitting at my desk) so I also have to make a conscious effort to move around. I usually try to do a few jumping jacks or jump rope every once in a while. It's easier when you're at home. I really like the way you've compiled a list that's suitable for the office!